Brown Brothers Harriman (BBH) is a privately-held financial institution and has been a thought leader and solutions provider for almost 200 years. We serve the most sophisticated individuals and institutions with award-winning expertise in Investment Management, Private Banking, and Investor Services. Our 5,000 colleagues operate from 17 cities throughout North America, Europe and Asia..
BBH is committed to diversity, innovation and globalization. Our culture is driven by our goal to provide the best solutions and services to our clients and each other. Our Partnership structure creates a flat organization that promotes collaboration across all business lines. We believe that diverse ideas and the ability to come together globally across groups and borders are a competitive advantage. In order for all our teams to excel, members must trust each other and feel comfortable providing honest input from all perspectives.
As a BBH professional, your career path is yours to define. We take pride in our ability to retain our best employees. We help them manage their careers by moving top performers to new areas of BBH where their talents will make the greatest contribution. As soon as you walk through the doors at BBH, we provide you with the tools to help you succeed and grow your career.
At Brown Brothers Harriman, we believe no job is too big or small for any of us to handle if it helps our clients. We value passionate, committed people who enjoy collaborating with others to find new solutions to complex business challenges. We are looking for the type of person who speaks their mind, truly listens and steps outside their role to add value wherever they can. Someone who is driven to get things done and views obstacles as an exciting challenge, that demands a creative solution. Above all, we seek someone who takes great pride in their work and is inspired and motivated by their role in protecting and enhancing our client’s financial well-being. If you are looking for an entrepreneurial environment where you can learn and thrive, Brown Brothers Harriman is the right place for you.
Join us as a Senior Department Manager – Transfer Agency
As the Senior Department Manager you will be responsible for the management and direction of a department within a division of the Operations line of business. In this role you will direct various programs, people and client relations by aligning processes and business goals. You will also oversee department operations and ensures success through implementing new objectives in terms of technologies, peer relations across business lines and product competitiveness. You will also focus on managing the execution of complex issues and/or high risk and exposure items that significantly impact the department.
Some of your key responsibilities include:
- Effectively manage a team of 30+ employees
- Ensure the smooth, effective operation of the department including: proper product delivery, proper escalation and resolution of high exposure items, maintaining the proper balance of cost, control and client service (3Cs), and maintaining proper standards and controls.
- In conjunction with DE, develop, maintain and achieve an integrated Business Plan for the department which aligns the following in support of business goals and objectives: organizational structure, systems priorities, budget, management reporting, and job descriptions. The plan must support the business goals and objectives of the division and Operations.
- Develop staff members through appropriate recruiting, training, performance management and succession planning.
- Develop a qualified successor(s) and partner with Human Resources on recruiting, hiring and orientation.
- Ensure that the management team is properly aligned with the division strategy, goals, and objectives and has the information and tools necessary to progress
- Develop and maintain a culture of results-oriented, continuous, process improvement including: developing and achieving leap goals, challenging all processes, procedures and practices, focusing on solutions (not “good reasons”), and keeping abreast of new technologies and applications and their implications for the department.
- Assist business lines with client visits, presentations, walkthroughs and other sales and client retention activities.
- Build and foster effective and productive relationships with peers across business lines.
- Ensure standard suite of products is competitive, strategic, well defined and critical to our clients.
- 12+ years of professional experience in banking
- At least 7 years of progressive managerial experience
- Experience in AML/KYC/Transfer Agency strongly preferred
- Mature leader with ability to coach, develop and motivate employees
- Able to deliver excellent service that meets client expectations for accuracy, timeliness and responsiveness.
- Able to ensure necessary controls are in place to prevent issues/problems. Identifies and escalates problems immediately.
- Communicates effectively with peers, management and clients. Effectively leads meetings and exhibits confidence with clients and senior leadership.
- Track record of building effective relationships with global peers and influencing key stakeholders in order to drive positive change.
- Can identify and addresses gaps and opportunities in process improvement, customer service or product development.
What We Offer:
- A collaborative environment that enables you to step outside your role to add value wherever you can.
- Direct access to clients, information and experts across all business areas around the world.
- Opportunities to grow your expertise, take on new challenges, and reinvent yourself—without leaving the firm.
- A culture of inclusion that values each employee’s unique perspective.
- High-quality benefits program emphasizing good health, financial security, and peace of mind.
- Rewarding work with the flexibility to enjoy personal and family experiences at every career stage.
- Volunteer opportunities to give back to your community and help transform the lives of others.