BNY Mellon powers individuals and institutions to succeed in the global economy providing investment management, investment services and wealth management. BNY Mellon is the corporate brand of The Bank of New York Mellon Corporation (NYSE: BK).
With a dedicated business presence on six continents and in 35 countries, BNY Mellon delivers global scale at the local level.
The Global Delivery Centre in Wroclaw is a growing location, predominately providing support services to BNY Mellon entities in the areas of fund accounting and investment operations.
The mission of the team within the European Bank is to establish and maintain a strong, adequately resourced, and forward looking Credit Risk function that is well placed to identify and manage emerging risks in a timely manner, by legal entity, by business and by product. The European bank’s Risk Management department is part of the Second Line of Defence and is independent of the business.
Within the European Bank’s Risk Management function, the counterparty credit risk (oversight and reporting) and credit concentration risk (“Large Exposures”) is a structural attention point that needs an intensive assessment and daily monitoring. As of today, core counterparty credit risk management (credit worthiness assessment, underwriting, excess approvals etc.) is done through the various Credit Teams in the broader BNYM organisation. The legal entity specific monitoring and reporting of this counterparty credit risk as well as the credit concentration risk management and reporting is done via the to-be-created European Bank Credit Risk team.
It has consequently been decided to appoint 1 Credit Risk officer. He/she will report to the Head of European Bank Credit Risk.
• The incumbent will act as the develop expertise within the European Bank on Counterparty Credit Risk created by the various business lines/products as well as on Credit Concentration Risk matters;
• Daily monitoring, management and reporting of all types of (Counterparty) Credit (Concentration) Risk;
• Periodic liaison with main (internal) stakeholders aiming at reducing or managing risk;
• Contributing to solid Legal Entity Credit Risk reporting, including development of IT and/or end-user computing tools.
• Daily monitoring of the Credit Risk within SANV
As a key activity, the daily monitoring of Credit Risk will take an important part in the responsibilities and will be mostly based on the available systems and reports sent by other Credit Risk teams and/or the business.
Main duties will be provision the daily legal entity Credit Risk overview (key statistics, metrics, numbers) with a qualitative assessment of the specific counterparty as well as to the adequacy of the position in light of the European Bank’s risk appetite and balance sheet.
• Contribution as an expert to the Credit Risk management
The incumbent is expected to play an active role in the ongoing management of Credit Risk in the European Bank, i.e. participate in the assessment of and provide expert advice on new products, customer onboarding, new policies and regulations.
• Assistance in the monitoring tools
Participation and representation as European Bank expert and business analyst to any relevant meetings related to Risk IT projects (mainly Nexen and GFC). This aims at providing the SANV with the necessary insight and understanding of any development of tools having an impact and helping to satisfy the needs on the exposures‘ monitoring capacities at local level.
• Risk MI
Contribution to SANV specific MI creation related to Credit Risk across the European Bank’s credit portfolio and at all levels of reporting (CROC, Dashboards, Executive Committee and Board).
• Support to the SANV Risk Management capabilities
When deemed necessary and taking into account the SANV’s needs in terms of Credit Risk capacities, the incumbent will also perform the following tasks:
o Participation as credit risk expert to any relevant Committees, among which Credit Risk Oversight Committee is the main one, and to any or any relevant meetings/workshops;
o Support to the Head of European Bank Credit Risk in relation to Credit Risk Oversight Committee (CROC) functioning;
o Contribution to any specific Regulatory request related to Credit Risk matters;
o Monitoring of the group’s Credit Risk policies: confirmation/annual update of the relevance of credit risk policies for the European Bank;
• Comply with all corporate policies and procedures within the bank in general and within the department specifically.
• Effective management and escalation of any significant issue.
• Notify Management immediately of any risk appetite and/or regulatory breach.
• Comply with health and safety policies and procedures operating within the business.
Requirements; (what we are looking for) BNYM Core Competencies:
• (internal) Customer Orientation
• Interpersonal Skills
• Managing Risk
Job Specific Competencies:
• Analytical Thinking: The ability to understand a situation by breaking it apart into smaller pieces, or tracing the implications of a situation in a systematic step-by-step manner.
• Problem Solving: The ability to build a logical approach to resolve problems or manage the situation at hand by drawing on own knowledge and experience and calling on other references and resources as necessary.
• Work Quality: The ability to demonstrate attention to detail to achieve quality results.
• Planning and Organising: The ability to establish a systematic course of action for self or others to ensure consistent accomplishment of specific objectives.
• Motivation: The ability to create an environment that promotes a sense of achievement, caring and satisfaction; a concern for working against high standards of excellence.
Technical Skills, Knowledge, Systems Knowledge (and associated skill level)
• Knowledge of the different Business Lines and types of Credit Risk exposures within the European Bank.
• Capacity to interact with different internal departments and business lines.
• Solid understanding of the financial services industry
• Good PC skills (Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint essential)
• Good report writing and presentation skills
• Focused attitude to work with the ability to constantly meet deadlines while ensuring attention to detail, and high level of accuracy
• Effective interpersonal and communication skills
• Excellent English
Academic/Professional Qualifications (or equivalent qualifiers)
• Minimum Expertise - 5 years of experience in banking, preferably within a Credit Risk environment or alternatively by demonstrating excellent custody product knowledge (functioning, processing, accounting and inherent (credit) risks).
• Full time contract of employment
• City Centre locations close to main railway station and flexible working arrangements
• Flexible benefits package, including life and medical insurance, health screening, fitness discount programme, employee assistance program
• Award-winning Wellbeing Program supporting you with your unique health and wellbeing needs
• Pension scheme
• On-site childcare and a parental buddy programme
• Exciting opportunities for career and global mobility
• Diverse and inclusive environment
• Employee Referral Program
• Recognition programmes
• A multitude of opportunities to get involved in charity projects and Employee Resource Groups (ERGs)