Brown Brothers Harriman (BBH) is a privately-held financial institution and has been a thought leader and solutions provider for almost 200 years. We serve the most sophisticated individuals and institutions with award-winning expertise in Investment Management, Private Banking, and Investor Services. Our 5,000 colleagues operate from 17 cities throughout North America, Europe and Asia..
BBH is committed to diversity, innovation and globalization. Our culture is driven by our goal to provide the best solutions and services to our clients and each other. Our Partnership structure creates a flat organization that promotes collaboration across all business lines. We believe that diverse ideas and the ability to come together globally across groups and borders are a competitive advantage. In order for all our teams to excel, members must trust each other and feel comfortable providing honest input from all perspectives.
As a BBH professional, your career path is yours to define. We take pride in our ability to retain our best employees. We help them manage their careers by moving top performers to new areas of BBH where their talents will make the greatest contribution. As soon as you walk through the doors at BBH, we provide you with the tools to help you succeed and grow your career.
Brown Brothers Harriman is seeking a Java Developer/Full stack developer to join its Transfer Agency Systems group for the development of the Investor Onboarding system. S/he will work as part of a dynamic technical team responsible for delivering new services for a demanding business. The individual will be primarily responsible for writing and managing source code, automated tests, ensuring continuous integration, tracking issues and creating a continuous deployment system of applications to servers. The successful candidate will also participate in all other system development life cycle (SDLC) activities, from requirements definition through design, development and testing phases to the production rollout.
Main areas of responsibilities:
- Design, development and testing of components of the Transfer Agency Investor Onboarding system
- Supporting business analysts in reaching a common understanding of user stories and acceptance criteria
- Integration of the systems developed in-house with vendor solutions
- Resolution of issues reported in test and on production systems
- Achieving clarity of vision by enhancing technical specifications and documentation which may include data modelling, dataflow diagramming, screen design, workflow analysis etc.
- Involvement in the design process as well as in system and UAT testing
- Involvement in creating the scripts for deployment and checkout of the solution
- Working with project managers, developers, testers and other specialists across multiple teams and locations to make sure that projects meet business needs
- BSc or MSc degree
- 4+ years of experience in software development projects
- Strong foundation in Object Oriented Programming and Design Patterns
- Knowledge and applying SOLID principles in practice
- Experience with WebServices (SOAP, REST)
- Must understand basic principles of data modeling
- Practical skills in Java and related technologies/frameworks for creating multi-tiered service-oriented web applications: Spring MVC/springboot, JMS, JPA, JAX-*,
- Ability to create clean, versatile, modular code with easily replaceable modules and layers
- Following TDD practices with skills to design code for unit testing
- Understanding and practical skills in relational database technologies
- Provable verbal and written communication skills backed up by initiative and collaborativeness
- Fluency in English, including ease of communication on the telephone
- Positive, can do attitude, openness to change and ability to grasp the big picture quickly
- Experience in one or more agile software methodologies
Nice to have attributes:
- Skills and/or previous experience in development of messaging microservices
- Previous financial services experience, specifically Investor Services / Transfer Agency
- Any previous experience in Agile such as Scrum or Kanban
What We Offer:
- A collaborative environment that enables you to step outside your role to add value wherever you can
- Direct access to clients, information and experts across all business areas around the world
- Opportunities to grow your expertise, take on new challenges, and reinvent yourself—without leaving the firm
- A culture of inclusion that values each employee’s unique perspective
- High-quality benefits program emphasizing good health, financial security, and peace of mind
- Rewarding work with the flexibility to enjoy personal and family experiences at every career stage
- Volunteer opportunities to give back to your community and help transform the lives of others