Brown Brothers Harriman (BBH) is a privately-held financial institution and has been a thought leader and solutions provider for almost 200 years. We serve the most sophisticated individuals and institutions with award-winning expertise in Investment Management, Private Banking, and Investor Services. Our 5,000 colleagues operate from 17 cities throughout North America, Europe and Asia..
BBH is committed to diversity, innovation and globalization. Our culture is driven by our goal to provide the best solutions and services to our clients and each other. Our Partnership structure creates a flat organization that promotes collaboration across all business lines. We believe that diverse ideas and the ability to come together globally across groups and borders are a competitive advantage. In order for all our teams to excel, members must trust each other and feel comfortable providing honest input from all perspectives.
As a BBH professional, your career path is yours to define. We take pride in our ability to retain our best employees. We help them manage their careers by moving top performers to new areas of BBH where their talents will make the greatest contribution. As soon as you walk through the doors at BBH, we provide you with the tools to help you succeed and grow your career.
Brown Brothers Harriman is seeking a Senior Java Developer to join its Transfer Agency Systems group. S/he will work as part of a dynamic technical team responsible for delivering new services for a demanding business.
This position is primarily responsible for design and development of business critical applications, supporting and automating the business of processing orders for transactions of funds held by our investors. On top of extending functionality, we focus on monitoring and refactoring of the current system. The technological landscape includes several BBH-developed Java applications communicating with core business applications maintained by external vendors, running in Unix and Windows environments, utilizing Oracle database.
Main areas of responsibilities:
- Leading the design and development of components
- Mentoring and reviewing of work of junior colleagues
- Architecture and model implementation of the automated unit and functional tests
- Identifying and reducing technological and technical debt
- Enhancing of the CI/CD frameworks
- Integration of the systems developed in-house with vendor solutions
- Resolution of the hardest issues reported in test and on production systems
- Supporting system analysts by reviewing of user stories and acceptance criteria
- Working with system architect, developers, testers, support engineers and other specialists across multiple teams and locations
- MSc degree in Computer Science
- Minimum 9 years of experience in software development projects
- Strong foundation in OOP and Design Patterns, mentoring of SOLID principles in practice
- Ability to design clean, versatile, modular code with easily replaceable modules and layers
- Deep understanding of Java and related technologies/frameworks for creating multi-tiered service-oriented web applications: Spring Boot, Spring Web, Spring Data, JMS, JPA, JAX-*
- Following TDD and PostFunc practices with skills to design code for unit testing
- Experience with integrating WebServices (SOAP, REST) with UI (Angular, React, jQuery)
- Familiarity with various deployment models – from standalone to Tomcat, WebSphere, WebLogic
- Understanding and practical skills in relational and NoSQL database technologies and modeling
- Experience with Unix variants (Solaris, Linux, Posix)
- Provable verbal and written communication skills backed up by initiative and collaborativeness
- Fluency in English, including ease of communication on the telephone
- Positive, can do attitude, openness to change and ability to grasp the big picture quickly
- Experience in one or more agile software methodologies, ideally Scrum and Kanban
Nice to have attributes:
- Skills and/or previous experience in development of messaging microservices
- Data security and process optimization
- Previous financial services experience, specifically Investor Services / Transfer Agency
What We Offer:
- A collaborative environment that enables you to step outside your role to add value wherever you can
- Direct access to clients, information and experts across all business areas around the world
- Opportunities to grow your expertise, take on new challenges, and reinvent yourself-without leaving the firm
- A culture of inclusion that values each employee’s unique perspective
- High-quality benefits program emphasizing good health, financial security, and peace of mind
- Rewarding work with the flexibility to enjoy personal and family experiences at every career stage
- Volunteer opportunities to give back to your community and help transform the lives of others