Through our market leadership positions in Sports Medicine, Trauma, Orthopaedic Reconstruction and Advanced Wound Management, our 16,000 employees continue to improve outcomes and expand access, constantly striving to create value for healthcare professionals, patients, payers and shareholders.
The FP&A Centre of Excellence (COE) exists to deliver quality insights and performance management that help Smith & Nephew deliver the Life Unlimited purpose to our stakeholders. The Centre of Excellence was created in 2020 to be a world-class, integrated FP&A organization. We act as one awesome, collaborative team that is proud to partner the business and to run efficient processes with effective tools. We support multiple functions and businesses and offer a range of career paths through the team and wider organization.
Within the COE, this finance analyst position is part of the Global Planning & Performance FP&A team and is responsible for providing high quality FP&A activity for regional and global purposes. The role will combine elements of process management (eg timeline creation and communication), actuals and planning reporting and consolidation, process improvement and developing and deploying digital tools.
Your work will aide in the delivery of best in class processes, finance insight, consolidation of information at the regional and global levels for both appraisal and planning. You should apply for this role if you have a passion for and demonstrated track record of driving process improvement and or project management skills – ideally with relevant certifications. Strong technical orientation, advanced Excel and PowerBI skills are critical to success and impact in this role. Prior experience in TM1/Cognos and SAP are preferred. Ideally you will have previously worked in a complex and global organisation, preferably with experience in a regional or global consolidation role.
As part of the global planning & performance team you will have the insight into full group results and business drivers but you will also be assigned to partner with and understand a specific region of our business. You need to work closely with other areas of the Centre of Excellence to drive the x-functional improvement agenda. Outside of the direct team, the role needs to work closely across Controllers & GBS.
Reporting to the Global Planning & Performance Senior Director you will contribute to driving the continuous improvement of FP&A processes. In this team you need to have excellent soft skills and utilise them to role model genuine collaboration, enterprise first thinking and demonstrate a learning mindset. This needs to be how you want to work every day.
This position is likely to have heavy interface with the Americas and would thus suit an individual whose lifestyle fits with later daily starts and finishes.
- Analyse and interpret monthly financial performance at a high level, with detailed analysis performed as required. Liaise with the country teams to understand their performance.
- Create and design processes then ensure their implementation through the preparation and distribution through the organisation. This may mean the creation of templates for forecast and budget.
- To be successful in the role you need to be able to resolve complex problems as they arise and find innovative solutions.
- Act in a global capacity as a lead on relevant finance systems – for example as a Super User on the Group BI and Reporting platforms and drive migration of reporting from Excel to Power BI.
- Assisting with quarterly forecasts and annual budgets, including tracking targets and initiatives, and understanding risks and opportunities faced by different countries and Regional functions.
- Coordinate & Deliver FP&A processes for yourself and others. such as weekly sales reporting, monthly financial reviews, monthly KPI reporting.
- Perform in-depth analysis to provide insight, identify and quantify opportunities or understand risks.
- Provide ad-hoc assistance and lead with Regional/Global projects as required.
Processes, Standardization & Controls
- Act as a thought partner in the team to define and leverage industry best practices in the way Smith & Nephew delivers the FP&A processes especially in the functions
- Get the basics right - lead and do the necessary improvement of data quality and content of reports/analysis in support to the business.
- To be successful in this team you need to want to contribute to and actively promote a continuous improvement agenda that creates great processes for you and your team. If you want to just deliver the status quo – this is not the team for you.
- Digitalisation – drive efficiency and insight through adoption and implementation of digital spanning visualisation, processing and analysis tools
- Comply with information management practices - ensure confidential information is safeguarded
- Ensure operation/execution of any key /non-key controls including SOX controls in your areas of accountability.
- At least 6 years of experience ideally with a combination of process (RTR etc) and partnering experiences, ideally within a multinational environment Competences
- ACCA/ACA/CIMA membership or progressing student
- Demonstrated Project Management experience ideally within agile methodology
- Excellent team player in multi country teams with very good interpersonal and communication skills and International business exposure
- Strong presentation skills (Verbal but also creating storylines and clear offline comms)
- Process improvement capability
- Accounting and finance knowledge
- Excellent team player in multi-country teams with very good interpersonal and communication skills and International business exposure
- Fluent in English (verbal and written). C1
- Travel Requirements: < 10%
- Advanced skills in systems especially Excel and PowerBI, with knowledge of MS Power suite (PowerQuery etc)
- Experience with IBM’s Cognos TM1, Oracle’s Hyperion Financial Management and SAP systems is a big plus
- Automation / analytics experience in tools such as Automation Anywhere / Alteryx is desirable along with demonstrated interest in data science / automation / AI.
at Smith+Nephew we offer:
care | multisport
card | life
sharesave plan |
meals and fruits |
growth in the global
zones in the