Through our market leadership positions in Sports Medicine, Trauma, Orthopaedic Reconstruction and Advanced Wound Management, our 16,000 employees continue to improve outcomes and expand access, constantly striving to create value for healthcare professionals, patients, payers and shareholders.
The FP&A Centre of Excellence (COE) exists to deliver quality insights and performance management that help Smith & Nephew deliver the Life Unlimited purpose to our stakeholders. The Centre of Excellence was created in 2020 to be a world class, integrated FP&A organization. We act as one awesome, collaborative team that is proud to partner the business and to run efficient processes with effective tools. We support multiple functions and businesses and offer a range of career paths through the team and wider organization.
Within the COE, the FP&A Analyst for functions is part of the Global Functions FP&A team and is responsible for providing high quality decision support and insight to senior leadership across the Finance function.
Your work will steer functional activities, functions strategy, people allocation and operating improvements. In this team we have a combination of roles that either work as a team to support a larger function such as IT along with independent and highly accountable roles supporting a smaller function. The incumbent is the responsible business partner and support to the functional leaders either as an interface directly to roles such as the CFO or for IT supporting the CIO’s Leadership Team.
These positions cover accountability for all core FP&A activities for the relevant function, built on the foundations of delivering the annual budget, forecasts and appraisal cycles. You need to work closely with other functions team to drive the x-functional improvement agenda. Outside of the direct team, the role needs to work closely across Controllers & GBS to ensure End-to-End finance delivery to the functions’ management. As the primary focal for finance you need the ability to move seamlessly between direct business partnering and detailed analysis, budget building and operational systems delivery / month end close. Candidates with a strong technical orientation, advanced Excel and PowerBI skills will be advantaged, and prior experience in TM1/Cognos and SAP are preferred. Demonstrated delivering of continuous improvement initiatives and CI certifications are also desirable.
Within the role there is potential to contribute to overall functional performance. For example in understanding and optimizing functional spending for example through benchmarking and insight.
Reporting to the Global Functions Director you will contribute to driving the continuous improvement of FP&A processes. In this team you need to role model genuine collaboration, enterprise first thinking and demonstrate a learning mindset. This needs to be how you want to work every day. We are currently recruiting to backfill team members who are moving onto new positions in the team.
- Prepare and review monthly reporting of financial performance, including completion of forecasts for expenses and headcount and preparation of monthly Global financial review report.
- Regularly review cost center's variances per GL Account and associated accruals
- Consolidation of the Global Finance financials (Strategic Plan, Budgets, Forecasts and Actuals).
- Prepare and distribute templates for forecast and budget and run the associated uploading, consolidation and story of the finance functional budget
- To be successful in the role you need to be able to resolve complex problems as they arise and find innovative solutions.
- Partner with the finance leadership to ensure their understanding of performance and together appraise and budget for the finance function
- The role may have a focus on Opex expenditure or managing Capex depending on the portfolio you take on.
- Provide ad-hoc assistance with functional and transformation projects as required
Processes, Standardization & Controls
- If you want to just deliver the status quo – this is not the team for you.
- As such we need people who want to act as a thought partner in the team to define and leverage industry best practices in the way Smith & Nephew delivers the FP&A processes especially in the functions
- Get the basics right - lead and do the necessary improvement of data quality and content of reports/analysis in support to the business.
- To be successful in this team you need to want to contribute to and actively promote a continuous improvement agenda that creates great processes for you and your team.
- Digitalisation – drive efficiency and insight through adoption and implementation of digital spanning visualisation, processing and analysis tools
- Comply with information management practices - ensure confidential information is safeguarded
- Ensure operation/execution of any key /non-key controls including SOX controls in your areas of accountability
At least 6 years of experience ideally with a combination of process (RTR etc) and partnering experiences, ideally within a multinational environment
- ACCA/ACA/CIMA membership or progressing student
- Strong analytical skills
- Business Finance experience
- Strong accounting and finance knowledge
- Demonstrated Project Management experience ideally within agile methodology
- Strong presentation skills (Verbal but also creating storylines and clear offline comms)
- Able to work independently and take initiative as well as act in the face of uncertainty
- Excellent team player in multi country teams with very good interpersonal and communication skills and International business exposure
- Fluent in English (verbal and written). C1
- Travel Requirements: < 10%
- Advanced skills in systems especially Excel and PowerBI, preferably with knowledge of MS Power suite (PowerQuery etc)
- Experience with IBM’s Cognos TM1, Oracle’s Hyperion Financial Management and SAP systems is a big plus
- Automation / analytics experience in tools such as Automation Anywhere / Alteryx is desirable along with demonstrated interest in data science / automation / AI.
at Smith+Nephew we offer:
care | multisport
card | life
sharesave plan |
meals and fruits |
growth in the global
zones in the