Senior Ethics and Compliance Auditor
Senior Ethics and Compliance Auditor
Shell in Krakow
Our people are essential to the successful delivery of the Shell strategy and to sustaining business performance over the long term. Performing competitively in the evolving energy landscape requires competent and empowered people working safely together across Shell.
We believe that diverse teams led by inclusive leaders deliver better safety and business performance.
5000+ employees 63 nationalities 20 languages
Shell is an international energy company with expertise in the exploration, production, refining and marketing of oil and natural gas, and the manufacturing and marketing of chemicals global energy company.
Around 84,000 employees across more than 70 countries work together to power progress through more and cleaner energy solutions. We use advanced technologies and take an innovative approach to help build a sustainable energy future. We are working to advance disability & enablement, gender balance, culture/ethnicity and LGBT+ inclusion within Shell and the communities where we work.
If you are an experienced audit professional and are excited to be part of the journey to build and sustain an ethical culture in Shell, then this role could be the opportunity you are looking for. As a member of the Shell Ethics and Compliance (E&C) Assurance team, you will be delivering a programme of E&C assurance activity covering all business and functional areas and the full range of activities in the E&C manual. You will lead teams delivering assurance reviews and providing advice and insights to improve the E&C control framework. As a key member of the newly created E&C assurance team you will also play a role in contributing to the assurance methodology, processes and developing ways of working for E&C assurance. The role will bring you into contact with a wide range of stakeholders across seniority levels and business areas in the organisation and is a great opportunity to apply and develop your communication and stakeholder management skills.
- Understand E&C risks and control frameworks at a country, business or function level.
- Lead delivery of E&C assurance reviews where nominated as lead of the team;
- As leader of review teams rapidly develop and maintain a team dynamic delivering a high performing and motivated team;
- Supervise small review teams, including quality review of work performed and coaching of team members;
- Apply professional judgment to deliver the review testing programme in line with agreed protocols;
- Execute quality interviews and testing;
- Apply analytical skills to large data sets to interpret risk and efficiently test operation of controls;
- Assess results to provide assurance, identify issues, insights and make high quality recommendations;
- Deliver quality working documentation;
- Draft written reports, presentations and communicate the outcomes of assurance services and activities to stakeholders;
- Identify good practice and opportunities for improvement in the E&C risk and control framework;
- Act as an SME / focal point in a specific area of the E&C manual and provide input to other review team members (based on area of expertise).
- Support the E&C assurance manager to develop, maintain and improve the assurance methodology, processes and ways of working for E&C assurance
- Where applicable independently lead projects to deliver specific E&C assurance activities e.g. the development of the annual assurance plan, reporting of integrated assurance outcomes.
- Actively participate in relevant team meetings (e.g. E&C Manager meetings), representing SECO assurance and building awareness and capability in E&C assurance.
As a senior E&C assurance specialist you will primarily be leading teams delivering assurance reviews. You will also deliver reviews as a team member and be expected to lead projects to develop the ways of working and methodology in a newly formed team.
To be successful you will need to be resilient, able to manage competing priorities, decisive, highly collaborative and have great teamworking, listening and influencing skills. Like your colleagues your passion for and advocacy of ethical behaviours will shine through and motivate those around you. You will act with integrity and transparency, even in difficult situations.
You will ideally have both prior experience in auditing / assurance and in Ethics and Compliance and related requirements. However, applicants with one of these areas of experience will be considered.
The senior E&C assurance specialist is a member of the SECO Assurance team and will report to the SECO Assurance Manager.
The SECO assurance team is responsible for Ethics and Compliance assurance globally, covering all businesses and functions and all areas of the E&C Manual within Shell. The senior E&C assurance specialist will independently lead assurance reviews from planning, through execution to reporting. This will require application of professional judgment, knowing when to ask for support (e.g. from the SECO Assurance manager or legal SME’s) and coaching of team members. Reviews will vary in duration from 2 to 4 weeks and in scope from covering a country, a business area, class of business or function.
The senior E&C assurance specialist will work directly with stakeholders at senior levels (e.g. country chairs, VP’s) and will be expected to demonstrate strong influencing skills in assessing risk, scoping reviews and agreeing assurance outcomes.
Skills and Requirements:
- Audit or assurance qualification e.g. Qualified Chartered Accountant, Certified Internal Auditor or equivalent.
- 5+ years experience working in audit or assurance related roles.
- Practical experience with assurance, auditing, testing and assessing control frameworks;
- A solid understanding of control frameworks (e.g. IT control framework) and ethics and compliance and requirements covering topics such as trade compliance, data privacy, ABC/AML and Antitrust.
- Influencing without direct authority at all levels of the organisation to VP level.
- The ability to network globally across Group businesses and functions, as well as with external groups.
- Ability to communicate and implement a shared vision with respect to SECO Assurance.
- Interpersonal and team leadership skills;
- Experience in leading small teams;
- Courage to intervene and challenge status quo;
- Qualities of independence, objectivity and analysis;
- Self-motivated, organized and adaptable;
- Strong presentation skills & ability to communicate credibly and influence senior management including leadership teams;
- Skill in assurance processes and frameworks;
- Skill in Control Framework components including risk management and compliance programmes
- Experience in the assurance of Ethics and Compliance risks;
- Strong planning, project management and organising skills with robust attention to detail;
- Experience working in dynamic and pressured environments requiring personal integrity, courage, independence and resilience.
- Ability to analyse, interpret and draw conclusions from large data sets.
- Experience dealing with ambiguity and problem solving;