Brown Brothers Harriman (BBH) is a privately-held financial institution and has been a thought leader and solutions provider for almost 200 years. We serve the most sophisticated individuals and institutions with award-winning expertise in Investment Management, Private Banking, and Investor Services. Our 5,000 colleagues operate from 17 cities throughout North America, Europe and Asia..
BBH is committed to diversity, innovation and globalization. Our culture is driven by our goal to provide the best solutions and services to our clients and each other. Our Partnership structure creates a flat organization that promotes collaboration across all business lines. We believe that diverse ideas and the ability to come together globally across groups and borders are a competitive advantage. In order for all our teams to excel, members must trust each other and feel comfortable providing honest input from all perspectives.
As a BBH professional, your career path is yours to define. We take pride in our ability to retain our best employees. We help them manage their careers by moving top performers to new areas of BBH where their talents will make the greatest contribution. As soon as you walk through the doors at BBH, we provide you with the tools to help you succeed and grow your career.
To be successful in this role, you would be responsible for the following:
- Forming key partnerships by cultivating strategic internal and external relationships at senior levels and providing resources and expertise to maximize business success
- Participating in and/or lead client visits, presentations, walk-throughs and other sales and client retention activities
- Ensuring long term profitability of client relationships and have the ability to create competitive service strategies for each client
- Partnering with the most senior levels in the client's organization to discuss and determine strategy and review new product development initiatives
Risk & Control:
- Drawing upon extensive functional expertise of product/service area to balance day to day operations with the strategic direction set for the business unit.
- Overseeing and ensuring compliance to all procedures whether internal or agreed external policies.
- Monitoring operational issues and following through on effective problem resolution with management of supporting departments.
- Promoting and building risk awareness among team members and colleagues
Leadership and Staff Management:
- Assisting senior management with ongoing project management and act as a professional voice for the department and firm as a whole.
- Being a leader in office-wide initiatives, both related to strategic and operational needs, and also for volunteer efforts and causes.
- Actively managing direct reports and other staff by establishing timely and challenging performance standards, providing ongoing feedback and conducting annual performance appraisals.
- Participating in the career development of staff and acting as a positive role model and mentor.
- Participating in the interview and selection process, to attract highly qualified, high potential candidates for the firm.
- Actively managing staff performance and progressive discipline process for employees failing to meet expectations.
- Delegating and managing performance – delegates effectively by clearly communicating objectives, standards, responsibilities, and milestones while holding individuals and teams accountable for achieving results.
- Implementing strategy through communicating a strategic vision that leverages and builds the firm’s strengths to deliver a competitive advantage.
- Building morale and a positive team environment through effective communications with the team and in one on one situations
- Ensuring the most effective use of the firm’s resources through careful planning, analysis, and control.
- Facilitating salary and bonus planning for the department.
- Managing productivity towards the most cost-efficient use of resources time, and budgeting for improvements on productivity
Technology, Innovation and Productivity
- Seeking to increase efficiency while maintaining a high degree of service and client satisfaction.
- Improving the profitability and revenue stream of primary accounts through innovation, efficiency driven automation, introduction of new products and reporting tools
- Working closely with senior technology staff to develop and maintain a culture of results oriented approaches for continuous process improvement.
- Participating in product development initiatives including research and implementation of client solutions.
- Demonstrating a sound understanding of the market place as it relates to industry products and services in order to apply solutions for what works for each client
To qualify for this role, you would have:
- BA/BS degree and/or equivalent work experience.
- 10+ years of fund services industry experience.
- Prior Client Service experience in the fund industry & custody preferred
- 5 + years of progressive management experience.
- Experience managing multiple internal or client relationships.
- Experience working on implementation projects.
- Experience with managing multiple, large and/or complex client relationships
- Experience in managing operational teams of 50+ members
Preferred knowledge and skills
- Excellent presentation skills.
- Proven ability to motivate staff to perform and deliver high levels of client service
- Ability to communicate openly and sincerely across various levels
- Ability to conduct oneself with a high level of professionalism exhibiting the highest respect for the client and BBH support areas.
- Proven ability to manage and implement change.
- Ability to think and work independently.
- Strong leadership and managerial skills and competencies; ability to motivate, inspire and empower in all circumstances.
- Strong written and oral executive-level communications skills.
- Creative problem solving skills, with the ability to quickly identify, recommend and implement solutions.
- Strong ability to make sound business decisions under pressure.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously, while meeting deadlines.
For successful candidates, we offer:
- A collaborative environment that enables you to step outside your role to add value wherever you can
- Direct access to clients, information and experts across all business areas around the world
- Opportunities to grow your expertise, take on new challenges, and reinvent yourself—without leaving the firm
- A culture of inclusion that values each employee’s unique perspective
- High-quality benefits program emphasizing good health, financial security, and peace of mind
- Rewarding work with the flexibility to enjoy personal and family experiences at every career stage
- Volunteer opportunities to give back to your community and help transform the lives of others