The Canada Income Tax group of the Shell Finance Organization is responsible for the filing of Canada income tax returns for Shell entities doing business in Canada, and for Canada companies operating overseas or foreign affiliates with Canada reporting requirements. Position is responsible for advising on and reviewing returns, complex issues and handling other associated duties. These duties include monthly review of tax provision, tax basis balance sheet preparation and analysis, research of law changes, participating in team projects within the team as well as cross-functions, tax accounting matters, and responding to inquiries by the businesses.
- Coordinate, review, and sign off of separate legal entity and consolidated Canada income tax returns, tax provisions (including return-to-provision adjustments, deferred tax true-ups, and effective direct tax rates), and tax basis balance sheets and associated deferred tax assets/liabilities.
-Perform all Canada Income Tax Compliance controls (including SOX and GALP) in conformity and in compliance with the Tax Manual.
- Serve as Subject Matter Expert and reviewer of many complex, highly technical areas in Canada Income Tax Filing & Reporing such as, but not limited to, the following:
a. Tax credits such as Foreign tax credit, R&D credit, etc.
b. Related-party transactions (effecting transfer pricing issues)
c. Tax Accounting/Reporting matters
d. Employee-related tax adjustments (stock options, pension, life insurance, non-qualified benefits, etc.)
e. Canada consolidation and partnership tax regulations, including the determination of quarterly estimated tax payments. These complex Canada income tax subject matters are characterized by the following attributes:
Intricate calculations that are further complicated by Shell's corporate structure;
Highly technical, non-intuitive, and ambiguous Canada income tax laws; and
Tens of millions of dollars of net income or cash effect.
- Analyze, review, and coordinate proposed legislation / tax law changes and their implications to Shell.
- Provide tax technical training and coaching, where applicable, to Team members.
- Provide Canada Income Tax Filing & Reporting advice to Businesses and Functions, including the support of the following Tax Areas/Functions:
Shaping tax law and rules, and external representation,
Planning and tax financial structuring, and
Managing tax inspections and disputes.
- Interface with external auditors on Canada income tax matters in order to attain sign-off of Royal Dutch Shell audited financial statements.
-Interface with Canada Business Controllers' staff and Business Tax Advisors on Canada Income Tax Compliance and Reporting matters.
- Develop and maintain relationships with the Businesses and Functions in Canada.
- Practice and comply with the Group Records Management policy.
- Assist in raising tax awareness across Canada businesses through training and workshops.
- Work on special projects, including Canada Tax Audits and Tax Planning projects
- Broad experience in business taxation working multinational company or a professional firm;
- Strong leadership skills as exhibited through prior project management and/or supervisory experience;
- Recognized professional qualification and a member of a recognized accounting or legal professional body;
- Deep knowledge and experience in income tax law and practice for different jurisdictions;
- Strong understanding of governance processes, control frameworks, controls in a tax environment (including the TMF&C), and tax accounting/reporting under GAAP and IFRS;
- Effective communicator of complex tax issues; both oral and written
- Effective client/project management and task prioritization skills;
- Effective at establishing and utilizing external relationships and contacts for the benefit of Shell;
- Effective at influencing others within and outside of Shell Tax;
- Ability to adapt to new or changing circumstances and ambiguous or pressured situations;
- Demonstrates imagination and creativity in the evaluation of issues and development of possible solutions;
- Ability to evaluate tax risks, balance risk with Business objectives, and make recommendations that are objective, practical, technically appropriate, and supportive of the Business;
- Effective team player on Tax and cross-functional/cross-sector teams.
Number of Vacancies: 1
Benefits of working at Shell:
- Meaningful work in a company that is universally respected as a truly global energy leader (one of the world’s biggest companies according to Fortune Global 500)
- Unique opportunity to fulfill your potential with personal and professional development programs
- Work in a smart and motivated team within a supportive and inclusive culture with strong values
- Attractive salary and bonuses
- Complex medical care and individual life insurance
- Sports programme & facilities e.g. Multisport Benefits Card, vouchers for free time activities
- Good atmosphere at work and comfortable working environment: own canteen and a few relax rooms
- Opportunity to participate in social and community projects