The R&A Senior Financial Controller will be responsible for Legal Entity Controller activities and will lead a small team of Financial Controllers for other New Ventures supporting UPN businesses. The role holder is expected to manage the business stakeholders in a way that will follow the FO support model, build the positive image of the SBO as well as contribute to business goals.
The R&A Senior Financial Controller is expected to influence effectiveness and efficiency of the processes for entities under his supervision, driving CI initiatives and using metrics to assess performance. The R&A Senior Financial Controller will be addressing performance and data integrity issues at the touch points with other processes within FO and beyond.
The role holder will work closely with the relevant R&A Business Analysts responsible for PAR activities on LoB level as well as a wider network that will extend across similar roles in Finance Operations where processes interact, Group Reporting, BPR, Finance Managers, CP, Legal, Treasury, Tax advisors, GRA, auditors, Venture Managers, JV partners and GM.
The R&A Senior Financial Controller together with R&A STMs of New Ventures will be expected to shape the accounting, reporting and financial controlling support in a flexible manner with the ebb and flow of Upstream business activity.
The R&A Senior Financial Controller will display excellent supervisory skills and professional experience in controllers’ area. The role holder will manage and develop Financial Controllers team, ensuring that the team has the required competencies today and in place for sustained success including support for World Class Finance journey. The R&A Senior Financial Controller will drive all team members to understand how their role contributes to the bottom line for supported businesses.
Leading a team of 3-5 Financial Controllers or Business Analysts on JG5 or JG6 level. Role with be key in managing and developing team and embedding a Continuous Improvement culture at all levels as well as acting as partner for the business stakeholders.
Organisation: Finance Operations
R&A Senior Financial Controller will report to the R&A Operations Manager New Ventures. The role will be based in Krakow. The R&A organization will continue to focus on the resilience & work life balance, recognizing that peak loading can and will occur due to the monthly accounting/reporting cycles. The R&A Senior Financial Controller will ensure that this is mitigated as much as possible and will work with teams to create a pragmatic approach. The role holder will be responsible for strong knowledge management needed in day to day job and its various outputs to enable short-term flexibility and longer-term succession planning and continuity.
High-level scope overview
R&A Senior Financial Controller will have the overall responsibility for all financials to ensure business activities are conducted in line with all Shell frameworks and policies as well as with applicable Production Sharing Agreements/Joint Venture agreements and local laws and legislation. This includes:
- Leading venture set up in cooperation with the business and other supporting functions, ERP implementation, organizing FO resources, MoA/Company File set up
- Leading venture liquidations in cooperation with FM/Tax/Treasury/Legal, GDP preparation, guarantees termination, tax clearance, liabilities coverage, external consultancy, liquidator appointments, books clearing, final financial statements and audits
- Responsibility for Financial Reporting and budgeting: Group Reporting, MI for BPR/LoB, Revenue Transparency, Statutory Accounts, Tax reporting, Partner Reporting (billing statements, cash calls), input to Planning (OP/FYLE), supporting QPA preparation
- Supporting Statutory/JV partner/fiscal/government/controls/SIA and other non-standard audits
- ensuring compliance with GRA, Transfer Pricing and Treasury policies, tax rulings, accounting procedures, cost recovery under JOA/PSC agreements
- reviewing PCI/PCN/GIP/GFP, impairment reviews, cash forecasting, lease models, yearly FTE reviews
- Deep insights into an entity business/financial specifics and ability to generate helicopter view for senior stakeholders
- Oversight on output of other FO processes and ability to achieve results through influencing and motivating others
- Ability to translate contracts into accounting notes and experience in reviewing investment proposals
- Ability to work in a rapidly changing and demanding environment
- Excellent communication/presentation and interpersonal/ relationship building skills and ability to work with virtual teams, across cultures and time zones
- Promote finance as a partner to the business and ensure comprehensive financial support is in place for legal entities
- Providing knowledge sharing for controllers’ community
- Supervising a small team of financial controllers
- Ensuring resources are in place to support venture set-ups, acquisitions and liquidations as well as managing controllers scope migrations to FO
- Lead the team through all reporting requirements changes such as IFRS9/15/16 implementation, CBCR etc.
- Smooth transition to new ERPs (BLP Lite, S4Hana) and redesigning process steps across all FO departments to fulfil the needs of a new ERP platforms (if required)
- CI initiatives so that people could focus on value adding activities only
The R&A Senior Financial Controller will be responsible for capability building in anticipation of expected scope changes and impact of World Class Finance project (managing migrations both from onshore and inter-centre).
- multiple entities with different legal structures and various businesses supported by the team
- work with constant change as a specific of New Ventures (entities are being established, rapidly growing, changing structures or to be liquidated in a very short notice)
- different ERP platforms being operated within the team (YLP, BLP, BG SAP etc.)
Job Knowledge, Skills & Experience
- Graduate and Professional Qualification (ACCA/CIMA/CA) Accountant with 8+ years of post-qualification experience or can demonstrate qualification through experience.
- Exceptional Communication skills and experience of stakeholder engagement at very senior level.
- Experience in working in a virtual environment is a pre-requisite.
- Network with other Controllers and Managers in SBO on a regular basis to review controls and processes.
- Network with the Business to ensure adequate business understanding is maintained. Connectivity will help align role with the underlying business and will ensure that the Finance and Business objectives are addressed appropriately.
- Delivers Results – Lead and embed culture of personal accountability to ensure timely and first time right delivery of team output
- Champions Customer Focus - Sets the environment to allow establishment of strong working relationships within team and with individual stakeholders
- Maximize Business Opportunities – Lead and monitor process to identify and embed within team and implement CI/simplification opportunities
- Collaboration – as part of Network of Controllers and Managers across Process and Business share best practice
- Strong business partnering skills and focus to support business goals realisation
- Strong leadership and communication skills to lead, develop and empower team
- Excellent Change Management skills required for system changes and frequent scope fluctuations
- Perfect planning skills to accommodate constant migrations and scope growth
- Talent management to ensure proper skillset is in place for todays and future developments
- Effectively managing the escalations – to remove blockers and help the team to perform their tasks effectively
- Presentation skills to lead the team and business engagements
- Ability to work across interfaces in a multi-cultural setting
Number of Vacancies: 5
Benefits of working at Shell:
- Meaningful work in a company that is universally respected as a truly global energy leader (one of the world’s biggest companies according to Fortune Global 500)
- Unique opportunity to fulfill your potential with personal and professional development programs
- Work in a smart and motivated team within a supportive and inclusive culture with strong values
- Attractive salary and bonuses
- Complex medical care and individual life insurance
- Sports programme & facilities e.g. Multisport Benefits Card, vouchers for free time activities
- Good atmosphere at work and comfortable working environment: own canteen and a few relax rooms
- Opportunity to participate in social and community projects