Brown Brothers Harriman (BBH) is a privately-held financial institution and has been a thought leader and solutions provider for almost 200 years. We serve the most sophisticated individuals and institutions with award-winning expertise in Investment Management, Private Banking, and Investor Services. Our 5,000 colleagues operate from 17 cities throughout North America, Europe and Asia..
BBH is committed to diversity, innovation and globalization. Our culture is driven by our goal to provide the best solutions and services to our clients and each other. Our Partnership structure creates a flat organization that promotes collaboration across all business lines. We believe that diverse ideas and the ability to come together globally across groups and borders are a competitive advantage. In order for all our teams to excel, members must trust each other and feel comfortable providing honest input from all perspectives.
As a BBH professional, your career path is yours to define. We take pride in our ability to retain our best employees. We help them manage their careers by moving top performers to new areas of BBH where their talents will make the greatest contribution. As soon as you walk through the doors at BBH, we provide you with the tools to help you succeed and grow your career.
BBH Investor Services is a market leader with an outstanding reputation. Our success is driven by our focused strategy: to grow and maintain trusted, valued and differentiated relationships with leading asset gatherers in our chosen market segments while ensuring we put the client at the center of everything we do. A critical component of our strategy is to offer a suite of integrated Fund Administration Services (Portfolio Compliance, Performance Measurement, Financial Reporting, Regulatory Reporting, Corporate Secretary & Legal Administration, and Expense Administration). We seek to offer these disciplines in a scalable and risk adverse manner, while executing in accordance of the timeliness and accuracy standards set by our clients and regulatory bodies while deploying singular global technology platforms and operational best practices.
We are currently recruiting for the Global Pillar Head of Fund Administration. The successful candidate will lead the Global Fund Administration Pillar by overseeing the production environment of the six global Fund Administration disciplines (Expense Administration, Portfolio Compliance, Performance Measurement, Financial Reporting, Regulatory Reporting, and Corporate Secretary & Legal Administration) across Poland, Luxembourg, Dublin, Boston, and Denver, while driving each disciplines’ product strategy. In addition, the candidate’s remit will include determining the utilization, and subsequent oversight, of any offshore or onshore non-BBH entity provider supporting Fund Administration. This individual will work horizontally across the organization to drive scale, ensuring profitability, and build out capabilities that differentiate BBH’s offering in the global market place.
Success in this role will not be through independent effort but is entirely contingent on close partnership across multiple BBH constituents and geographies, including but not limited to BBH’s Service Delivery Teams (ex. Fund Accounting, Global Client Service, Change Management), Relationship Excellence, Strategy, Marketing, FinTech, Systems, and Product/Data & Digital. The candidate will need to able to effectively influence inside and outside BBH. Relative to the latter, success will be dependent on close engagement and strategic alignment with our existing third-party technology partners.
1. Strategy & Technology
- Develop, communicate, and drive the Fund Administration strategy
- Create 3-year plan which factors in globalization, technology strategy and feedback from the business
- Push for continuous innovation and transformation of the operating environment
- Increase efficiency within the operation through the use of technology while maintaining a high degree of client satisfaction
- Develop and maintain a culture of results oriented and continuous process improvement.
2. Risk and Regulatory
- Manage the product’s regulatory and risk profile through a proactive and anticipatory approach
- Ensure the business has “best in class controls”, inclusive of benchmarking against market standards as well as leveraging insights from incident trending for the product and underlying disciplines
- Drive globalization and standardization of best practices and procedures across all locations
- Monitor operational issues and follow through on effective problem resolution with management of supporting departments
- Ensure the smooth, effective operation of the department including: compliance to all accounting, custody, fund administration and operational procedures, proper escalation and resolution of high exposure items, and maintaining proper standards and controls.
- Accountable for the cost management of our production disciplines inclusive of people and technology costs.
- Work with Relationship Excellence to ensure close coordination on sales strategy while ensuring capabilities advance to support targeted campaigns
- Analysis of margins and reviewing P&L of the product
- Advancing cases for strategic investments
- Ensures the most effective use of the firm’s resources (financial; people; technical) through careful planning, analysis, and control.
4. Client Service and Relationship Management
- Defends and protects core revenue streams through the oversight of exceptional service delivery
- Leads by example in establishing a culture of providing superior service to BBH's clients, inclusive of developing insights that can be leveraged by the Global Client Service pillar in client, prospecting, industry forums
- Builds and maintains strong internal and external business relationships and looks to collaborate effectively to execute department strategy.
- Forms Strategic Partnerships – Cultivates strategic internal and external partnerships providing resources and expertise to maximize business success.
- Participate in and/or lead client visits, presentations, walk through and other sales & client retention activities.
5. People Management/Leadership
- Support Global Head of Fund Services by acting as a professional voice for the department and firm as a whole
- Support local Office Head as senior onsite leader and ensure underlying global discipline leads carry through on their local office responsibilities.
- Oversee the supervision of staff members through appropriate recruiting, training, performance management, and succession planning.
- Ensures selective selection, development, and retention of highly qualified, diverse, strong performing team members. Establish challenging performance standards
- Delegate effectively by clearly communicating objectives, standards, responsibilities, and milestones while holding individuals and teams accountable for achieving results.
- Implement strategy by communicating powerful, coherent messages about how to leverage strategic vision to deliver a competitive advantage.
Successful candidates for this role will have previous experience:
- Running large scale global production units while delivering consistent and risk adverse operating models
- Building scalable operations to deal with complexity arising from client changes or market events
- Fostering and driving innovation, overseeing the prioritization of new product concepts
- Identifying, developing, and retaining talent
- Developing global networks that have led to candidate being a sought-after resource within the organization
- Interfacing with clients & prospects
- Proven aptitude for solving complex problems with varying degrees of ambiguity about vision, consensus or tactical ownership
- Demonstrated ability to influence others without direct authority across interdisciplinary teams
- Talent for transforming current challenges into future opportunities
- Seen as an effective negotiator across divergent internal & external constituents by effectively managing objections when pitching, piloting, and testing new strategic concepts
- Confidence to challenge conventional thinking with fresh and creative insights; ability to independently manage ambiguity and thrive on change
- Passionate about product innovation and its role in establishing sustained competitive advantages
- Ability to be an effective internal and public representative for BBH Strong oral and written communication skills a must
- Leads with a sense of urgency to drive results across a global complex
- Inspires high performance standards for self and others
- Enthusiastic attitude
US and international travel will be required
The Global Pillar Head of Fund Administration will report directly to the Global Head of Fund Services
Education and Experience:
Bachelor’s Degree, MBA Strategy/Finance or other relevant advanced degree(s) preferred
15-20 years of related experience with strong knowledge of Fund Administration disciplines and their underlying operational & technology environments